Saturday, October 10, 2009

While Praying, Waiting Quietly and Listening, I Found a Poem Written by Arthur Wallace

I have been reading a book by Arthur Wallis entitled "God's Chosen Fast." One of the most moving, inspiring and informative books on a number of subjects I have read in a long time. I have found grace to practice it, too. Actually that has come from 3 sources, the greatest influences I have ever had to fast and pray for my dreams. 1) The current sense in my prayer times that we as a nation are in deep trouble that will include tremendous doses of divine judgment if we don't find mercy in the place of prayer. 2) My wife started doing it w/o me and for long periods of time, because I couldn't find the discipline to forgo meals ... and the sense of shame has been unbearable; and 3) Arthur Wallace's book.
And I am not doing anything for anyone else to be impressed by - even now - but the Father-God, the Lord Jesus Christ, working through the Mighty Holy Spirit, whom Jesus sent to help us, has been helping and visiting with me. Things are changing inside me and I am again sensing a fresh surging of His presence and power.
So, in the light of these things, here's the poem at the end of Wallace's book. I hope it inspires you to begin a journey of prayer, of mourning, of fasting, and waiting on God in behalf of our families, our cities and churches, our states, our nation and other nations that are in grave danger right now whom God can and will save if we will lift up our voices in prayer.


THEY FASTED

On Sinai's mount, with radiant face,
To intercede for heaven's grace
Upon a stubborn wayward race,
They fasted

Once lifted from the miry clay,
When opposition came his way
This soldier-king would often pray
With fasting.

A seer, possessed of vision keen,
Who told the troubled king his dream.
Had light on God's prophetic scheme
Through fasting

The prophetess in temple court
Beheld the Babe the two had brought;
For Him she long had prayed and sought,
With fasting.

He came to break the yoke of sin,
But ere his mission could begin
He met the foe and conquered him
While fasting.

'Set these apart' the Spirit bade.
A spring, that soon vast rivers made,
Broke ope by men who as they prayed
Were fasting.

'So shall they fast when I am gone!'
Was this no word to act upon?
Ask countless saints who fought and won
With fasting.

When we shall stand on that great day
And give account, what shall we say,
If He should ask us, 'Did you pray -
With fasting?'

More on this later. (btw ... Arthur Wallaces books are available on Amazon.com CHEAP!!)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Brother Phil, I have begun reading some of your postings this is the one that has touched my heart to respond. I have been hearing the Holy Spirit's voice instructing me to pray and fast. I too have struggled in the area of being obedient. A week-n-a-half ago I was determined to arise at 4:00AM well I was a little over an hour late, but I did get up. I was determined if someone called me to go out for breakfast I was going to say no. They called and I went to breakfast. I did however pray for over four-n-a-half hours, but the whole time was a struggle to enter in into his presence. Prayer for me in the past was so easy so delightful there was nothing better than entering in into that special place in the Father connecting to his heart and then praying his will and praying then into many victories. After the victory songs that I would sing I would often feel like I was immersed into a refreshing water that always brought such a wonderful complete fulfillment to my soul.
    I have been asking Jesus how that I am to pray concerning my life, some where my well has been drying up.
    I have been spending hours at a time in the Word. I have been shown how many man made doctrines that I have adapted that in fact have been plugging my well spring. With man made doctrines no matter how good they sound they are from the flesh and I been shown no matter how good that I have been my flesh was being exercised and my spirit wasn't. With the Spirit of Truth comes freedom and instead of being free I was with heavy burdens and then I found myself trying to take care of them myself all in the name of Jesus, but with no relief.
    I am not against the good solid doctrines inspired by the Holy Spirit that you can find in many denominations. With each anointing you will also find an anointing like that of Billy Graham no matter what he reads in the Bible his anointing will cause him to see salvation in whatever he reads in the Word of God.
    Repent has to do with changing direction and also the changing of your thoughts. I am in reconstruction so that I can repent.
    a friend in Christ

    ReplyDelete